Koala Plans of Management KPoMs
Arbor Ecological has sound experience in koala habitat assessment, koala survey and preparation of Koala Management Plans KPoMs in Northern NSW. Our field assessment methods use industry best practice Koala habitat assessment techniques to determine Koala use of land.
We recommend measures to avoid, minimise, mitigate and compensate impacts where developments and activities have potential to impact koalas. As part of Michael’s development assessment work with Lismore and Byron Councils he reviewed and made recommendations on numerous Koala Plans of Management as part of development and rezoning applications.
Koala Habitat Protection SEPP (State Environment Planning Policy) has replaced SEPP 44 – Koala Habitat Protection and provides the basis for assessing land as Koala habitat in NSW. Land mapped as Koala Habitat is assessed to determine if suitable koala food tree cover exists and if the land is or has been actively used or occupied by koalas, i.e. Core Koala Habitat. Koala impact assessments are also regularly required under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act.
Koala management services:
- Koala survey and habitat assessment including Spot Assessment Technique (SAT)
- Significant Koala impact assessments (State and Commonwealth) and Commonwealth referrals under the EPBC Act where necessary
- Core Koala habitat assessments
- Koala habitat mapping
- Koala Plan of Management KPoM preparation
Arbor Ecological continues to work on koala habitat assessment and management projects including:
- Assessment of power-line trenching through koala habitat, Illuka
- Ecologically sensitive areas along the proposed Pacific Highway route from Wardell to Coolgardie, via Ballina
- Review Koala Plans of Management for Byron & Lismore Shire Councils as part of development and rezoning applications
- Koala habitat assessment for Ocean Shores playing fields development
- Koala habitat assessments for land subdivisions at Goonellabah and Tregeagle via Lismore, Meerschaumvale via Ballina, Maclean, Kangaroo Creek, Suffolk Park, Ewingsdale via Byron Bay, and Waterview Heights via Grafton
Click on the photos below for more information on our Koala Management projects, or to discuss your project requirements please Contact Us